There are a number of important characteristics which I build into my guitars.
- Clarity and tonal responsiveness - each guitar must possess a clear and distinct voice but must also respond readily to the player's efforts to shape its tone. String separation is important;
- Accurate intonation - the scale is fully compensated so that the instrument plays in tune on all strings at all parts of the fretboard;
- Power - strong projection without sacrificing tonal quality;
- Sustain - to allow the playing of slow passages with ease;
- Ergonomics - a slim neck with the fretboard elevated above the soundboard to improve upper fret access;
- Structural integrity - avoidance of bridge rotation and soundboard deformation in the upper bout.